Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:40:01 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: harddrive woes (!)

On Monday, 22 March 1999 at 22:34:37 -0800, Chris Piazza wrote:
> -This seems to be a bug directly related to FreeBSD *only*-
>
> A while back (ack, sorry, lost all the debug output, error messages
> everything...:( ) I had a crash in FreeBSD that seems to have rendered the
> latter part of my harddrive unusable, but *only* in FreeBSD.
>
> FreeBSD refuses to newfs this portion of the drive.  Both Linux and Windows95
> have absolutely not problems using it, and indeed find no errors using scandisk
> etc.  The kicker is that I can mount these dos (fat32) or ext2fs drives in
> FreeBSD fine, yet if I try to write to them I get an endless scroll of messages
> such as the following:
>
> wd1s2c: hard error writing fsbn 4917756 of 4917756-4917763 (status
> 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error 10<no_id>)

This is telling you that the sector you're looking for on the disk
simply isn't there.  This isn't FreeBSD, it's the drive itself.

> It seems to me like FreeBSD spammed my harddrive with something, but
> what I don't understand is why other OS' do not even think twice
> about it.

There are two possibilities here:

1.  The other OSs don't try to access this sector.
2.  They ignore the error.

Hopefully (1) is the correct answer :-)

> Is there any way to wipe this part of the drive "totally" clean?

Some format utilities can do this for you.  Unfortunately FreeBSD
doesn't supply anything to format IDE drives.  Does your BIOS have
something?

Greg