Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:57:59 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving  newpcm performance?)

David Murphy wrote:

> Quoting <Pine.BSF.4.21.0003211623180.71332-100000@dt051n0b.san.rr.com>
> by Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>:
>
> > > but upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 is fiddly, and it
> > > doesn't help that the instructions are counterintuitively at the
> > > bottom of /usr/src/UPDATING which, to the untrained eye, looks like a
> > > changelog, and lusers like me don't read changelogs to see if someone
> > > happened to put vital instructions at the bottom of it.
>
> >       Caveat compiler. We NEVER suggest that lusers (or, less
> > experienced users) upgrade from source, even for a point release. We
> > ALWAYS tell them to upgrade from CD, or wipe their disk and do a clean
> > install. If you choose the upgrade from source path, YOU take
> > responsibility for adequately educating yourself. Period, end of story.
>
> Where, where, WHERE the F*** do "WE" say that? I'm stupid, point it
> out to me. REERENCE the blindingly obvious piece of documentation I so
> obviously missed.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.0-RELEASE/UPGRADE.TXT

> $50 Amazon gift certificate thing to the first
> person that points out where on www.freebsd.org this is clearly
> stated. No, refernces to mailing list postings won't do - I want to
> see where a perfectly ordinary intelligent sysadmin new to FreeBSD
> would find this information. Go on, I fscking DARE somebody.

	Actually what you see on the web page clearly stated in numerous places is
that upgrading from source is NOT for the faint of heart. I put a sternly
worded message in my 2.2.8->3.2 upgrade web page that told the user that
they would be better off using sysinstall. But, that page isn't on a
freebsd site, so I guess I don't win your bet.

	It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that upgrade from source is
the preferred way to do it while reading the development lists, but those
lists are for developers. We have always recommended other methods for
general users.

	Your point is well taken though, maybe it's time for a more clear message
in the handbook. Jim, you listening? :)

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"