Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 05:32:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        denny@jodeit.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I bought your system and am not so happy!

In article <005201c1c34f$f6b0f730$6f830acf_gdennyj@ns.sol.net>,
	denny@jodeit.com writes:

>> What parts of the FreeBSD Handbook did you find difficult to follow or
>> understand?
>>
> I'm also a little confused myself.
>
> First of all, you are bitching to blind ears.
>
> It's gonna be a shock to you, but you need a clue or 2 before installing
> FreeBSD.
>
> If you went out and bought install CD's to get started, you missed the boat
> and should have researched on the web first.

I'm not usually an apologist for the clueless myself, and I don't think Adam
falls into that group. He did write that he can install Linux, though he
didn't mention which Linux.

FreeBSD's install (and terminology thereof) is different enough from RedHat's
where I could see an RH Linux user becoming confused during the install.
RH's default desktop install does indeed put a more ready-to-rock environment
on the destination disk - too much so, IMHO, but I prefer FreeBSD's lean-and-
mean approach.

FreeBSD's sysinstall has been a point of "controversy", and, IIRC, is
undergoing some sort of overhaul, though I find it quite acceptable, myself.

A reply like yours doesn't do anything to promote FreeBSD, which, in this
particular forum, ought to be a consideration in replies. This isn't the
hacker's list, after all.

Just my two-cents' worth,
Dave