Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tandberg SLR6 / FreeBSD-3.3-RC

> dump 0uaf /dev/nrsa0 /
> dump 0uaf /dev/nrsa0 /usr
> dump 0uaf /dev/nrsa0 /home
> dump 0uaf /dev/nrsa0 /var
> dump 0uaf /dev/rsa0  /tmp
>
> The root file system is dumped fine, as it seems. Every further dump
> gives me the following error message:
>
> .../kernel: (sa0:ahc0:0:15:0): WRITE(06). CDB: a 0 0 28 0 0
>    /kernel: (sa0:ahc0:0:15:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:50,0
>    /kernel: (sa0:ahc0:0:15:0): Write append error
>
> What happens? Did I miss something?

Darn- I would have thought " SLR*" would catch all the Tandberg models,
but I guess not..

Umm- it's not putting the drive in fixed length mode, and with the write
append error I shouldn't wonder that it's also terminating the tape with
two filemarks. Variable mode should be okay (Well, *I* think variable mode
for QIC drives is foolish, but there are those out there who don't agree).

Either set SA_QUIRK_1FM for this drive (and fixed if you want it), or
use

mt -f /dev/nrsa0 seteotmodel 1

before using the tape and see what happens.

-matt