Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:36:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   7.1-STABE/Xorg 7.4/KDE4.2

I was unable to use hald/dbus with KDE4.2 until I took "kdm" out of
/etc/ttys and wrote a simple script that started it up in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.

I saw this discussed elsewhere, tried it - it worked!

I'm currently running "kdm" in daemon mode; /etc/ttys starts it in
"nodaemon" mode but it's not obvious to me which is correct.

I previously had a problem with KDE4.1 on a Toshiba 8100 with the Savage
video chipset which would lock the screen when the screensaver came on.
With the "vesa" driver using Xorg 7.4 compiled on 2/20 and KD4.2 the
screensaver never comes on; I'm currently trying the "savage" driver.

The other machine is a Supermicro P6DC6 dual Xeon with a Radeon X800 card
which is currently cloneing in both monitors; I haven't tried setting up a
Xinerama-like display using xrandr, that's for the future.  The
screensaver does work with KDE4.1 on this system.

Mike Squires
mikes@siralan.org