Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 04:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, nick.hibma@jrc.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console driver (was: Problems with irq 9(2)?)

> sos@freebsd.org writes:
> > > However, no VGA board that I know of will exhibit snow while in text
> > > mode, so waiting for vertical retrace is not necessary. It should not
> > Well you dont know much then :), most modern videocards will
> > "snow" when you muck with the font generator, you probably
> > confuses this with writing to the screen buffer, which works
> > on all VGA's etc etc...
>
> Ah. I didn't realize that we were talking font generator here.
>
> Honestly, I don't really see the point in having a nifty pseudo-
> graphical mouse cursor in text mode. First, it's overkill because you
> only need character resolution, not pixel resolution. Second, it
> steals four characters from your character set. Third, it doesn't work
> properly (or at least doesn't look good) in all modes.

First, I need char resolution in some apps, strange but true.
Second, 256 chars is not enough anyways, so having 252 is just a little worse.
Third, it was done by "popular demand", so there is use for it.
Fourth, it was fun doing :)

> Of all the VGA adapters I've ever laid eyes on, the only one to
> generate an interrupt on vertical retrace is an old VLB S3 86c805
> based accelerator, and even that one has a jumper for it which is off
> by factory default. I currently own two S3 cards, one TSeng Labs card,
> and a bunch of no-brand Cirrus Logic and Western Digital based cards.

And some has it tied to NMI yikes! so if you enable it in the
regs you will get really funny results...