Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 23:16:05 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        ipc1@tribeca.ios.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Su Password & X start

    Dale> I just installed 2.1 and try to log in as su but the system
    Dale> wants a password.

First, you don't log in as `su' ... you log in as a non-root user and
then type the `su' command to get root privileges.  For example, on my
system, I log in as `kelly' and to do my work, fun, and games.  When I
need to administrate the system, I type `su'.

Or, you can log in as `root'.  It's better to log in with your own
account first and use the `su' command though: for one, you can tell
who's been using root priveleges that way---if you go through the
logs, and if they're intact.

    Dale> I set a password for root in the Install program but this
    Dale> doesn't do it. What the heck is the password?

Root's password is what you set for root during the install.  If
you've mistyped or forgotten it, boot your system in single user mode
(type `-s' at the `boot:' prompt) and reset root's password---unless
you've marked /dev/console as insecure, in which case you'll really
need to try to remember the root password.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

Sometimes, when I drive across the desert in the middle of the night,
with no other cars around, I start imagining: What if there were no
civilization out there? No cities, no factories, no people? And then I
think: No people or factories? Then who made this car? And this
highway? And I get so confused I have to stick my head out the window
into the driving rain - unless there's lightning, because I could get
struck on the head by a bolt.  -- Jack Handey