Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:45:53 -0800
From:      "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@mindspring.com>
To:        "Thomas R. Gillingham" <Gillingham@AlliedCapital.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP....!!!

At 03:33 PM 10/29/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am a new user to FreeBSD and I am having a hard time installing it.  I
>get to the point (after answering all the questions for Novice Install)
>and it asks me for another disk.
>
>I don't have any disks to insert.  I downloaded rawrite and boot.flp  I
>copied both of them to the C drive and typed rawrite and made a file
>called boot.flp on a new floppy disk.
>
>I booted with that disk and started the novice install.
>
>What else do I need to download to get up and running.

You need to at least download all of the files in the bin distribution (bin
directory off the ftp site).  You will most likely want some of the other
distributions as well (e.g. manpages, some of the src, etc.).

Once you have a distribution downloaded, copy files (usually five at a time
will fit on one 1.44mb floppy) to a diskette or diskettes.  The first floppy
of any distribution (the one containing the .aa file) needs to also have the
.inf file for that distribution on it.  When the installation process asks
you to insert the next floppy, after the boot floppy, put in the first
diskette of the bin distribution.  This diskette should have bin.aa, bin.ab,
bin.ac, bin.ad, bin.ae, and bin.inf on it.  When the install is done with
that diskette, it will ask you to insert the next diskette for the bin
distribution, and indicate to you that the bin.af file should be on that
diskette.  You would, of course, put as many distribution files on the
diskette as possible.

The trick with the 2.1.5R version (or later if the process has not changed)
is that the first .aa and .inf file of the next distribution you want to
install needs to be on the last diskette of the current distribution being
installed.  What does this mean?  Let's say that in addition to the bin
distribution, you also wanted the subin distribution.  What you would do is
put at least the last bin file on a diskette (bin.cc?), along with subin.aa
and subin.inf; you could put more of the subin files onto the diskette if
they fit.

By doing this, the install process knows that it is done with the bin
distribution, and then checks for other .inf files on the same diskette.
The only other nuance is that there is an order that the install process
expects to find the distributions, and if you don't follow the order, it
doesn't matter what .inf is on the diskette.  If it isn't the right one,
then the install process moves on and complains that it couldn't find other
selected distributions.

So, the order is as follows: bin, doc, games, manpages, proflibs, dict,
info, sbase, sgnu, setc, sinclude, slib, slibexec, slkm, srelease, sbin,
ssbin, sshare, ssys, subin, susbin, smailcf, des, krb.

Hope this helps you get through the floppy install process.

John