Date:      28 Aug 2001 09:40:14 -0400
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

> Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 09:34:42PM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > > Setup: Toshiba 4005CDS
> >> FreeBSD-4.3-20010807-STABLE
> >>
> >> In my own defense concerning posting this here:
> >> I've posted this problem on `questions' `stable' and `net'.
> >> To date I have received no help whatever.  Maybe since it is a laptop,
> >> someone here will take time to help.
> >
> > What does ifconfig show for the interface?  Is it a PCMCIA card?  If so,
> > what does pccard show?
>
> ifconfig ed0:
>
> ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	inet 192.168.0.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
> 	ether 01:d4:ff:03:00:20
>
> Yes, PCMCIA

I have seen exactly this problem with various and sundry LinkSys
PCMPC100 ethernet cards.  They keep changing the card, apparently.
The first was PCMPC100, then there was PCMPC100.v2 and the last I saw
was PCMPC100.v3.  Some of the originals worked okay, but I never got a
.v2 or .v3 working successfully.

My solution was to switch to 3com 574B and the ep driver...

Not all that helpful, but a data point.

andrew