Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2008 02:30:40 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: corporate backers of freebsd

On 2007-12-31 23:14, Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com> wrote:
>On Monday 31 December 2007 18:10:55 Gary Smithe wrote:
>> In short, here's my question:
>> Canonical, RedHat, IBM, Novell, and a slew of others are funding /
>> supporting Linux development and pushing some of that development
>> into the free community, so that all can benefit from full-time
>> developers and the money that supports them.
>
> This is true but on the flip side, Linux has become a target of the
> patent trolls (Microsoft and SCO to name two) and thus far they have
> left FreeBSD alone.  This was one thing that prompted me to try
> FreeBSD and to not depend exclusively on one OS solution.  I am just
> an individual user but this was still important to me.
>
> BTW you may have read that SCO has been delisted by NASDAQ   :)

This is probably a bit off-topic for the original thread, but SCO has
filed for bankruptcy.  This is probably related to being delisted by
NASDAQ.

To help a bit with the original question too:

Yes, Gary, there are companies who also fund FreeBSD work in several
ways, i.e.:

  * Paying developers on a per-project basis, to implement features
    which they need.

  * Employing developers, and then contributing code back to the FreeBSD
    Project.

  * Supporting FreeBSD drivers and subsystems, and working with the
    Project to keep their hardware support up to date, to implement new
    features, fix bugs, and so on.

Some examples which I recall off the top of my head are:

  The support of Isilon Systems for VFS locking, which was then 'ported'
  back to FreeBSD.  Jeff Roberson worked with Isilon Systems to bring
  VFS locking to FreeBSD, and it is not part of the official kernel
  source tree.

  NetApp and Isilon systems have made public statements, through the
  FreeBSD Foundation, about the reasons they like FreeBSD.  Advocacy of
  this sort, from successful companies is also a good contribution to
  the Project.  It may convince other companies to look at FreeBSD too.

  The hwpmc(4) performance counter work was started by Joseph Koshy, and
  then sponsored by Google and the FreeBSD foundation.

  NLNet supports the work of Marko Zec for the Network Stack
  Virtualization project.

  Cisco, iXsystems, Chelsio, Intel, Myricom, Neterion and others are
  actively contributing hardware to our "netperf" cluster.  Sentex is
  hosting the netperf cluster, and has been providing ongoing support to
  the FreeBSD Project for a very long time now.

  ISC is hosting FreeBSD Project machines too.

  Yahoo!, Apple, Juniper, Philips and Cisco are employers of some of the
  most active FreeBSD developers, and they have contributed in many many
  ways to the well-being and ongoing development of FreeBSD as we know
  it today.

  Cisco has provided, through Randall R. Stewart, a fully functional
  version of the SCTP protocol, and Randall has done an excellent job
  both of integrating SCTP into the tree, and supporting / maintaining
  it later on.

  Last, but definitely not least, Google, through its wonderful `Summer
  of Code' projects, has funded the development of a huge number of
  features which are either already part of the main FreeBSD source
  tree, or are in the process of being refined, debugged, tested and
  integrated to the main FreeBSD system.  The list of all the Google SoC
  projects is available through out web site, but here are some of the
  projects which I remember as I'm typing this:

    * BSD bintools project (some of the tools which are part of the GNU
      binutils have been cleanly implemented using only BSD-licensed
      code).

    * Improvements to the Ports infrastructure.  This was completed and
      committed to CVS by Gabor Kovesdan, who was fudned by Google for
      _two_ years in a row.  Kudos to both Gabor and Google for all the
      Ports work they have done :)

    * SNMP monitoring and a BSD-licensed snmpd daemon has been
      implemented by Shteryana Shopova and committed to the tree.

This is, by far, not an exchaustive list, but just a *few* of the
companies which have supported the FreeBSD Project so far.  I have
undoubtedly forgot many more, since I am both a relatively "new" FreeBSD
team member, and I am not involved in *all* the sub-projects which are
part of the greater FreeBSD Project "umbrella".

There is a lot more information on our web site about companies who
contribute to the development of FreeBSD.  The quarterly status reports
at <http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/>; and the `Newsflash' at
<http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html>; are good places to "hunt"
for this sort of information.

HTH,