Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:40:56 -0400
From:      Charles Reese <reese@chem.duke.edu>
To:        Richard Gresek <rg@plusline.de>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no buffer space

Hi,
        I have not seen the no buffer space message, but I have been getting
this collapse of network services.  I will be telneted into one of my
machines and all of the sudden I get no response to anything I type, no echo
either.  After a couple minutes the telnet session disconnects.  If I ping
the machine in question from outside the network it is still alive.  After
5-10 minutes I can connect by telnet again and all is well for some time.
dmesg shows no messages logged during the outage time.

Please let me know if you figure this one out and I will do likewise.

Cheers
Charlie Reese

At 10:40 PM 10/13/97 +0200, you wrote:
>What does the message "no buffer space" mean exactly?
>
>We get this message every few weeks - especially when using something like
>IPFW, tcpdump or trafshow. Few minutes after this message all networking
>functions collaps and the machine is not reachable over network any more.
>
>The machine is the main gateway of a mid-sized network. It is running
>FreeBSD 2.2.2. The network interface is a 3Com ISA Card. The machine is a
>P5/200Mhz, 128 MB RAM, Adaptec Wide SCSII.
>
>Will this problem disappear with a PCI card. Are there some OS settings
>that do influence the number and size of the related buffers?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Richard
>#=======================================================
># Richard Gresek                DPN Verbund-Partner
># c/o Plus.Line                 -> Frankfurt
># Mainzer Landstr. 222-224      -> Stuttgart
># D-60327 Frankfurt/M.          -> Westerwald
># Tel.: +49 69 7589150
># Fax:  +49 69 610238           http://www.plusline.de

Charles E. Reese        *                                   *
Durham, NC 27710        *   Buy      Sell     Trade    CDs  *
919-660-1585            *            NO MIDDLEMAN           *
919-544-7217            *            TOTALLY FREE           *
                        *       http://trader.ourway.com    *
reese@chem.duke.edu     *                                   *