Date:      Sat, 04 May 2002 13:05:36 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Andreas Zymny" <andreas@zymny.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems to get 4.6RC running on my laptlop

Boot to the loader, then say

'help set tunables'

and follow the instructions for disabling the PCI BIOS.  You'll need to =

add this command to /boot/loader.rc or repeat it on every boot.

 =3D Mike

> Hi all,
> =

> =

> I work with FreeBSD 4.3 RC3 since a few months on my laptop. Now I
> tried to make a update to 4.6, and...
> =

> ...on the booting process FreeBSD crashes. Here is the output:
> =

> =

> [...]
> [to this point all looks good]
> =

> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=3D0x1039, dev=3D0x7018) \
>       at 1.4 irq 5
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=3D0x1039, dev=3D0x7013) \
>       at 1.6 irq 10
> pcib2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=3D1039 device=3D0001)  \
>       at device 2.=DF on pci0
> pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib2
> pci1: <SiS model 6300 VGA-compatible display device> \
>       at 0.0
> pci_cfgintr_virgin: using routable interrupt 3
> =

> =

> fault virtual address =3D 0xeb902
> fault code            =3D supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer   =3D 0x8:0xc00eb807
> stack pointer         =3D 0x10:0xc04ecd6c
> frame pointer         =3D 0x10:0xc04ecd6c
> code segment          =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1h
>                       =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags      =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
> current process       =3D 0 (swapper)
> interrupt mask        =3D net tty bio cam
> trap number           =3D 12
> panic: page fault
> =

> =

> additional information:
> =

> Notebook Model     : Baycom Worldbook II
> ATA Controller     : SiS 5591
> PSI-ISA bridge     : SiS 85c503
> Network controller : SiS 900
> USB Controller     : SiS 5571
> =

> =

> My first idea was, that there was something wrong, when I compiled the
> kernel, but the 4.5 install cd rom produces the same panic.
> =

> Now I'm confused: Why does 4.3RC3 support my notebook chipsets, but
> 4.5+ produce a panic?
> =

> Does anyone has a idea why FreeBSD produce this panic?
> =

> And: What can I do? I have the 4.3 RC3 cd rom here, but this is not
> what I want to do.
> =

> =

> Any suggestions are welcome,
> =

> Andreas Zymny
> =

> =

> =

-- =

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to =

the American public.  - Theodore Roosevelt