Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:21:57 -0400
From:      Tom Gioconda <tgiocond@vt.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ultra ATA Hard Drives and controllers with FreeBSD

At 09:39 PM 8/25/97 -0700, Doug White wrote:
>> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE on a Quantum Fireball ST
>> 6.4 gig Ultra ATA hard.  It is controlled by a Promise UTLRA33 Ultra ATA
>> controller.
>
>Promise controllers are known rogues.  Disable the onboard BIOS and try
>again.

I thought of that.  But the documentation suggests that you can't
manipulate the onboard BIOS through software, and there doesn't appear to
be any way to do it on the card itself.  But thanks for the suggestion.
I'll keep looking for information.

>> Does this mean I'm screwed and I'll have to buy a small hard drive just
>> for this OS?  All I need is a 500M-1gig FreeBSD partition.  Please reply
>> directly to me; I don't subscribe to this list.
>
>YOu can; it's not a bad idea to be honest.

I know.  I've installed FreeBSD on several machines using a seperate hard
drive.  That was easy.  But I'm using the Ultra ATA controller as my only
hard drive controller.  The CDROM and ZIP drives are on the motherboard,
but the card says that I have to plug ALL hard drives into that card, if
I'm reading the poorly written docs correctly.

-Tom
----
This message was written by Tom Gioconda
tgiocond@vt.edu