Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:52:41 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        TAOKA Satoshi <taoka@infonets.hiroshima-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM, qa3507@email.mot.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, morishim@cig.mot.com
Subject:   Re: net/xisp -> comms/xisp  + new import of comms/yawmppp

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 03:33:09PM +0900, TAOKA Satoshi wrote:
> The xisp package implements a user-friendly X interface to pppd/chat
> and provides maximum feedback from the dial-in and login phases on a
> browser screen, as well as a manual login terminal window.
>
> Note that it includes "pppd". And ports for ppp (e.g. ppxp, ppp-nt and
> so on) are in net category instead of comms.
>
> So I prefered net category rather than comms.
>
> Is that incorrect decision ? Do ports for ppp (e.g. ppxp, ppp-nt and
> so on) have to move into comms category, if so?

Well, I'm on the side that thinks PPP software is really just fancy
software that communicates with your modem, which puts it in the field
of minicom and friends.  And that means they all really belong in comms,
not net.  Net stuff involves things that don't worry about the hardware
layer, only the transport/network layer.  Comms involves stuff that sets
up and/or communicates with the hardware layer.

Of course, my word isn't definition.  If someone could provide me with a
fairly good reason to keep it in net, then so be it.  Otherwise, for
consistency, these things need to be moved.  =)

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>