Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:25:39 +0800
From:      Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Bill Bailer <wbailer@eznet.net>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is PicoBSD really so bad?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 04:40:51PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > I have had exactly the same experience, with the same downloaded dial
> > version disk image.  This is my first experience in trying to run any
> > form of bsd, and I don't know what files I can afford to delete or
> > alter.  Anything I have tried "breaks" it and I have to start over with
> > a new disk image.  The disk certainly is full, and the update utility
> > does not work.  There is no working space for the editor either.  I can
> > manually configure dialer and ppp access for each boot, but can't save
> > the configuration.  Can't download anything because of no space to put
> > it.  It's a can of sardines.
>
> can you try to get the image from http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

This one is certainly better. However, the update script does not work
either. If the floppy is mounted, it complains about "mount failed,
device busy". If the floppy is not mounted, it says "eof unexpected,
expecting 'fi'".

I have enough technical knowledge to mount the image via vnconfig and
edit the configs manually, but a casual user will be very
disappointed.

Look at the competing projects like Freesco (http://www.freesco.net),
that is what I call client satisfaction :).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/149@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/