Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:35:00 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the fla driver definitely has bugs ...

Larry Baird wrote:

> I hae thousands of systems installed using the fla driver and
> 8MB DOCs without any problem.  Initially based upon FreeBSD 3.5.,
> now based upon 4.2.

I'm sorry but I can't confirm that. I have nothing but trouble
with the fla device with all 5 boxes that I'm trying to configure.
So, I know I don't just have a foul chip.

- "stray irq 7" is something that should not ever happen in a clean
  kernel certainly not when mounting or otherwise accessing a flash
  disk device.

- There is so much magic involved that I don't even dare to create
  a fresh flash filesystem. I have one image that appears to work
  and I use that as a template just writing different kernels and
  configs to it.

- The magic as far as I can tell must have to do with the order in
  which physical "disk" blocks are written. The exact same files
  can be written such that the system won't boot at all (anything
  from errors while loading the kernel to panics early in the
  initialization phase of the kernel can happen) but if written
  with this magic template and fingers crossed and on a full moon
  it will work. (It's as if when blocks of the kernel file are
  not all in a row, the file will be deemed corrupted or something.)

This is completely obscure to me and quite annoying, especially since
my other device that uses Compact Flash has just *no* problems with
any of this, period. So I know I'm not doing anything obvious wrong,
I just seem to be falling into the gaps of a brittle device / driver
combination.

BTW: the systems on which I have problems are the Flytech NetPC
B62 systems with 8 MB DiskOnChip. The computers are quite fine
otherwise, just that this stupid DiskOnChip thing causes me to rip
my hair out. (As you can hear in my tone.)

Has anyone from the PicoBSD crew any advice as to why the ordering
in which files are written can decide between live or die of an
installation?

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine