Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 97 17:52:11 -0500
From:      "pan@hepweb.com" <pan@hepweb.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>, Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, Richard Hodges <rh@alpine.net>, Edwin Culp <eculp@mexcom.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zone transfer failure

-- [ From: pan@hepweb.com * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Thanks for all your speedy input.

Daniel O'Callaghan:
The IP for hook.hepweb.com is 38.208.69.2.  hook.hepweb.com is the box
running named.

Dan Busarow:
The domain in question is hepweb.com, (which is now under the authority of
psi.net until I figure out my problems).  Their listing is www.hepweb.com.
Named is running on a box called hook.hepweb.com.  My ISP is going to be
running the secondaries, (that's why they need access to the zone files), so
I don't have those details, but here is a copy of my named.boot,
;
;       Boot file for name server
;
directory       /mynameddirectory
cache           .                               cache
primary         hepweb.com                      db.hepweb
primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa            db.local
primary         69.208.38.in-addr.arpa          hepweb.rev

Edwin:
Thanks for the tools hint.  I'll check them out immediately.

Richard:
Hey!  I was WONDERING about the very subject you mentioned.  My only
question is, which one of the following entries is the one that returns a
value for alpine.net?

@       IN SOA  oak.alpine.net. root.alpine.net. (
                9703051         ;serial number (date)
                86400           ;secondary refresh
                1800            ;retry
                3600000         ;expire
                604800 )        ;default ttl = 1 week
        IN NS   oak.alpine.net.
        IN A    208.138.51.132
        IN MX   10 oak.alpine.net.

Particularly, the A record 208.138.51.132.  Do we simply place the IP
without a machine name as shown?

Thank you all again
Peace
Pan