Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      SINELNIKOV@sbmp04.ess.sunysb.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can not boot???

Hello list,

I would greatly appriciate and be thankfull for any help.

Problem: cannot boot to just installed FreeBSD

Hardware:

Mather:  DIGIS 486NL
Processor: Intel 486SX 40MHz  (8Mb memory)
HDD: IDE
Controller: VESA local bus S1345 VL IDE&i/o controller
Network card: Ether Elita 16 Ultra

Please, send me a message if you find any of the components
listed above unsupported by FreeBSD. From FreeBSD handbook
I got only suspicious about Ethernet card.

So I decided to proceed and installed FreeBSD from another
harddrive (in minimal configuration). I allocated the whole
450Mb disk for it and run Novice instalation. Installation
was completed succesfully.

However I could not boot to FreeBSD from that disk. The
default settings apparently were hanging the computer so
I had to give it a cold reboot. If I tryed to specify some
other command at the boot prompt, it allowed me to do so,
but later kept on rebooting after each hit of Return key.
I tryed different partition of the disk but that did not
help either.

Please help me to find a reason why it happened. Do I have
to change the hardware or it can be solved by some other
actions, like proper configuration, may be.

Thank you for your help in advance

     Yegor