Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 01:21:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

Eh-hum,

This is not meant toward any 'one' individual, and therefore is To: the
list.  My $0.02 worth...

> > I'll type it slower this time:

On a personal note, I hate to see this type of 'condescention' anywere.
Life's way too short to never grow up...

> Thanks for the condescention.  As you may have missed me saying, I know
> all about this because _I've_been_testing_it_.  As you may have

I also hate to see what looks like an argument going on...  not because
it's an argument, but because it seems to be an argument that's
accomplishing nothing.  I've noticed people shouting back and forth about
how and/or why this is or is not either party's problem...  the bad part
is it's hard to get useful work done when you're busy writing hateful
emails.

I would personally like to see development efforts focussed upon more
important (to me, at least) features such as soft-updates (i greatly
appreciate the effort which is being put into this and only wish I
had enough knowledge to be of help) and SMP. I'm sure someone and/or some
group of people feel DOS-bootable support is important, but are *they*
working on it themselves?  If so, more power to them...  If not, then they
should not be so rude to those who are working on this project as a whole.

It does, in fact, seem kind of silly to focus upon getting on OS to boot
from within another OS (not a trivial thing by far) when there are still
key portions of the OS itself that needs work.

> network workstation bootstraps.  We also support the El Torito CDROM
> bootstram environment, which is a superset of the BBS mentioned above.

Which works beautifully for me...  Great work.

>  http://www.acpi.org/
>  http://www.dmtf.org/
>  http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev

Hey...  look...  I got something useful outta this thread. ;)

	-mike