Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 05:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>, Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Name Server Behind Router

--- Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 01:00:36PM -0800, Jonathan
> Hilgeman wrote:
> > Please humor me on this one.
> >
> > 1 - I have a DSL line coming into my home, with
> one IP address, let's call
> > it 4.43.123.213.
> >
> > 2 - The modem runs to a router, which then
> branches off to several
> > computers.
> >
> > 3 - One of them is a FreeBSD 4.4 server (a new,
> clean install) with
> > named/BIND installed, but not configured nor
> running. The server's IP behind
> > the router is 10.0.0.102.
> >
> > 4 - I want to be able to use that server as a name
> server. However, I have
> > tried a few different things and I cannot seem to
> get it configured and
> > running correctly.
> >
> > 5 - My /etc/rc.conf file has a line that says:
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet
> > 10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> >
> > Can someone offer general tips or even specific
> tips if you can, to how I
> > should set this all up. i.e. Should I use DHCP to
> assign IP addresses via
> > the router or not? What about the IP addresses?
> How does the name server get
> > recognized by the outside world?

I think you are going to have to configure the router
to `punch through' dns requests to your bsd machine.
The man pages on ppp tell you how to do that for ppp,
and that might give you the jargon to go digging for
in the router's manual. You need to tell it to direct
messages on port 53(?) to 10.0.0.102.
The only ADSL router I have experiened either doesn't
have this feature, or has hidden it very well in the
manual. I believe that many do, however.

What should my