Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:22:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-Port Async Cards

> >I've heard about bugs and problems with different driver.....but not much
> >positive feedback. What is the "product of choice" for doing multi-port
> >async dial-in with Freebsd....as of the moment?

> Might I infer from the fact that no-one seems to have a (positive) opinion
> about this that FreeBSD is a particularly bad choice for this and Linux
> should be recommended?

Some weeks ago i asked a similar question. I got one recommendation: a
Boca Board -  which seems to run fine at several sites but had a problem
with autodetection at boot time. I could not find a distributor for it
here in Germany.

Also i contacted the german distributor for the Cyclades product line
because i heard some good things about the product line. I was told,
that the FreeBSD driver does not work good, but someone in Germany hacked
a good running version - i could not locate him. I scanned the mail archives
for Cyclades and saw that there was some flameing going on about the cy
driver and that someone else had written a driver which works but which
needs mgetty. I don't like needing mgetty. Nothing against mgetty, but
i want to get along with getty if i want. Other than this, the Cycaldes
product looked very promising, but without a working driver ...

Finally someone in the company i'm working for put an ancient AST "Cluster
Controller" on my desk, 4 full modem ports equipped with 8250's and just
one IRQ needed. AST Germany was VERY helpful in getting the dip switch
settings for this ancient board, it is fully supported by sio and it runs
without any problems - i'm fully satisfied.

But to come back to the original article. I normally don't respond to
anything anymore which says "Help me, or i go to the Linux camp" - i
find it very bad style to extort help with this question. If someone
even plays with going to Linux, he should do immediately. Same applies
to Windows 3.11, 95 and NT. For me going to Linux is just no question
because nothing - and i mean NOTHING - fits my needs there. And before
i would go to Linux because of a serial board driver, i would write one
immediately and make the source available freely for everyone - and
discussing this, i thought, was the purpose of this list, this is why
we are subscribed, aren't we ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe