Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:39:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preventing ntpd from adjusting time (backwards)

--------------enig9327804E6188709689C833AD

Mel Flynn wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Some coarse reading of ntpd(8) and ntp.conf(5) doesn't lead me to belie=
ve it's=20
> possible to make ntpd *not* adjust the time. With adjust I don't mean t=
he skew=20
> operation, but really change the time. Backwards is my primary concern =
but if=20
> it can be turned off completely it's fine with me.
>=20
> Reason being dovecot bailing out when this happens:
> Apr  1 16:18:26 squish ntpd[1353]: time reset -6.711955 s
>=20
> Apr  1 16:18:26 mx1 dovecot: Fatal: Time just moved backwards by 6 seco=
nds.=20
> This might cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill myself now.=20
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards
>=20

This seems to be a bete-noir for the dovecot developer.  Whatever, it is
a royal pain in the arse, as my mailserver always steps the time
backwards on each reboot, and then dovecot does it's dying swan thing.

Three choices:

  * Don't run 'ntpd -g' as the documentation tells you is the modern and
    accepted method.  Instead, run 'ntpdate' as a separate process and
    run 'ntpd' without the '-g' flag.

  * Don't run dovecot.  Other IMAP servers do not suffer in the same
    way.

  * Put up with it.  Avoid reboots, and swear at all concerned any time
    you really do have to reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK