Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 11:56:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, root@deadline.snafu.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

> >What kind of drives?  IDE drives bite, particularly if they are being used
> >at the same time as the serial port... etc, etc.
>
> IDE drives have no affect on the operation of the serial unless they
> are so slow that the system spends too much of its time in the kernel.
> Bus-hogging SCSI controllers bite.

It has been my observation that IDE drives DO tend to affect the operation
of serial I/O, at least during heavy I/O periods.  Small-memory systems tend
to spend much more time doing "heavy I/O" (swapping), in my experience, this
is just one reason I put 8MB in even my smallest machines these days.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968