Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 18:44:47 +0300
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup mirror state

I'm not sure this is the case, but I do remember some mirror admins
mentioning that they will only allow connections originating from their
own country.

An idea would be making an official list containing:

a) hosts that should always be allowed to connect to the cvsup or ftp
mirrors (this should include the host this test was run on, at least)

b) hosts that should be allowed to make an AXFR or IXFR for
.cc.freebsd.org domains (this should include people keeping official
lists of hosts)

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:14:20AM +0400, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> On 19:29+0200, May 7, 2003, Nils Vogels wrote:
>
> > Hi there!
> >
> > I'm hoping I have the right list, if not, please drop me an icmp redirect :)
> >
> > Just ran the fastest_cvsup script, which comes with the portstree, and there
> > seemed to be a few communications errors, which seemed interesting enough for
> > the FreeBSD project people to know :)
> >
> > First of all, the fastest_cvsup script fetches the list of cvsup mirrors to
> > prod from http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/cvsup.html .. After that,
> > it contacts each server listed and measures how long it took to connect.
> >
> > During a full sweep of the server set, I ran into the following issues:
>
> [...]
> > --> Connecting to cvsup6.ru.freebsd.org [195.14.50.21]...
> >     * error: Timeout
>
> Works for me:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ telnet cvsup6.ru.freebsd.org 5999
> Trying 195.14.50.21...
> Connected to earth.corbina.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> OK 17 0 SNAP_16_1e CVSup server ready
>
> > --> Connecting to cvsup7.ua.freebsd.org [217.20.163.36]...
> >     * error: Timeout
>
> Works too.
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Maxim Konovalov, maxim@macomnet.ru, maxim@FreeBSD.org
Alex Popa,  |  "Computer science is no more about computers than
razor@ldc.ro|     astronomy is about telescopes" -- E. W. Dijkstra