Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 05:47:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how fast are "fast" CDROM drives ?

> Nah. In fact for random access the faster drives are slower than the older
> 4x or 6x drives, because they lose too much time speeding up and slowing
> down. I wish there was some flag you could set to limit their speed.

now that you mention it... loading the boot image from a bootable CDrom
using said 32x drive is slow as hell... (not that using the floppy was
fast)

this is happening under BIOS control so i have no idea if this is
deliberate or not.

in any case there might be some atapi command to set the read speed
(perhaps through mode pages ?)

	luigi