Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:15:42 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Jason.K.Scott@usa.xerox.com, Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM images?

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 08:48:59AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 08:23:18AM -0400, Scott, Jason K wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I am looking for complete CD-ROM (Joliet?) image of
> > > FreeBSD to download.  Being pretty new to the *nix and open
> > > source scene, I still have some troubles finding the right
> > > answers to my problems.  I downloaded both 'kern.flp' and
> > > 'mfsroot.flp' from ftp.freebsd.org, however using fdimage to put
> > > them on a _new_ (1.44m) floppy doesn't work.  It keep giving me
> > > a 'file too big' error (the images are 1,474,560).
> >
> > You d/l them in text mode (did you use Netscape?). Try d/l in
> > binary mode, they should then work OK.
>
> That was my first instinct, too, but 1,474,560 bytes is the
> *correct* size for a floppy.  Assuming Mr. Scott is correct that the
> files have that size on his *local* disk (and he's not just quoting
> the size he saw in his FTP tool on the host from which he downloaded
> said files), fdimage should be able to write them.  This is an
> *extremely* strange error, assuming that his whole description is
> correct.

Hmm, yes, you are right about the file size, I just took the error
at face value (there's been so many people with this problem because
they d/l in text mode it just seemed like yet another). That said,
I would guess that the floppy has a bad block, in other words the
floppy is too "small" rather than the file too big.

Just too check, I d/l kern.flp using Netscape (FreeBSD), saving it
as type "Source" and fdimage'd it to a good floppy - no problems.

I suggest that you re-format (a *full* format, not just "Quick
Format") your floppies or use new ones.