Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 22:47:01 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_libs & ldconfig (Bad address) not working ?

At 12:26 PM 5/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 10 May 1999, Tom Embt wrote:
>
>> I don't recall exactly what I did to break it, but I am having trouble with
>> my linux_libs.  Running the linux ldconfig gives the following:
[...]
>I'm quite sure your disk is horked, try this and see if it works:
>
>boot single user then:
>
>dd if=/dev/rwd0 of=/dev/null bs=512
>
>note that "rwd0" above should be the raw disk name in /dev, if you
>have scsi disks it may be /dev/rda0, I'm quite sure "dd" will barf
>with a I/O error meaning that your drive is busted or you have some
>other disk failure.
>
>-Alfred

Woohoo!  I just did something I should have thought of earlier.  I unloaded
the linux modules, did a 'make all install' in /usr/src/sys/modules/linux,
and reloaded the linux KLD.  Ran /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig and IT WORKED
:)  Quake2 server now runs as well.  As far as the disks, they're another
story...

I have since replaced the old disk containing the root partition with a
different one.  Mounted them both with the fixit.flp and cp -Rp the the
filesystems over.  In the process I found out that the disk that used to
contain the root filesystem will not autodetect in BIOS unless there is a
slave drive on the same IDE channel. (??weird??)  A while later I found out
that I *can* make it work by jumpering it as Cable Select instead of
Master.  Needless to say I no longer have complete faith in this drive.

Anywayz, I have run that 'dd' command on both the old and new root
filesystem drives, and the drive containing /usr/compat/linux (which hasn't
changed), and all of them worked no problems.  Come to think of it though,
I think some of the 'dd' commands were done in multi-user, does this make a
difference?  I forgot to reboot single-user for at least one of em.  Can't
do it again, as the old root FS drive has already be converted to FAT16.
Oh, I also ran wddiag.exe on the old drive, it came up clean as well.

Anyhoo, thanks for the 'dd if=/dev/rwd0 of=/dev/null bs=512' knowledge.
Now, about fsck...

>> PS- I don't know if it's related but I seem to have UNREFerenced files on /
>> , and no matter how much I run fsck, it won't get rid of them or pronounce
>> the filesystem clean.  I don't see how this could be directly related, as
>> /compat/linux is actually a symlink to /usr/compat/linux (for space
>> reasons).  Have I F'ed up my system?
>
>It's probably a dying disk, by the way, you are only running fsck from
>single user mode right?

Ummmm.  Oooops.  I have been running it both ways interchangably.  Is that
a Bad Thing(tm) to do?  I still seem to be unable to get rid of these
UNREFerenced files.  If I run it in single-user it doesn't come up with any
unreferenced files, it just says the FS is still dirty and to rerun fsck
(which doesn't help).

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com