Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:37:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using VINUM to do RAID-1 disk mirroring

I have two FreeBSD machines, both containing a pair of identical hard
drives. I am looking to set up vinum to mirror the hard drives, and am not
having any success. I have searched the FreeBSD archives, the vinum website,
and other websites as well.

Here is what I've found so far:

Each drive needs to have the file system type changed from FreeBSD to vinum.
I have done this no problem. (A side question I have about this is will this
affect me if I reboot the machine or am an single user mode? What effects
does changing the file system type have?)

So now I have two drives, /dev/ad0s1 and /dev/ad2s1 (IDE devices). FreeBSD
calls partition "c:" the complete drive, so on one drive (the drive I want
mirrored), I have all my file partitions. On the drive I want to mirror to,
I only have one partition, c:, which is the whole drive. Before I mirror, do
I need to set up identical partitions? According to the man pages, it seems
I don't have to.

Now, in the man pages, under "Simplified Configuration", it states that to
mirror a drive, all I need to do is:

vinum -> mirror -v /dev/ad0s1c /dev/ad2s1c

The response I SHOULD get is:

     drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/ad0s1c
     drive vinumdrive1 device /dev/ad2s1c

Instead, the actual response I get is:

Could not allocate device vinumdrive0

So what have I done wrong? The man page gives no more information than the
simple,, one magical command that should do everything. Any suggestions are
appreciated.