Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:11:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com (Larry Dolinar)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

> Thus spake Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@louie.udel.edu> (Sat, 11 Nov
> 1995):

> |  My first question.  I've got a Cabletron e2212 ethernet card.  It's
> |  ne2100 compatible.  I've installed it and played around with it with
> |  using the boot floppy.  I get the craziest message though.  What does
> |  `lnc0: Heartbeat error - SQE test failed' mean anyway?  Is this going
>
> Check your doc.s: there's probably something to enable/disable the SQE
> test (Cabletron generally ships disabled) on the NIC -- probably needs to
> be on, but only guessing...

Typically, you want this off.

If it isn't on on both your hub and your card, it will blow chunks on one
or the other.

If it is off on both, it will work fine.

If it is on on both, it will work fine.

Typically, older DEC equipment requires it on, and older AT&T hubs want
it off.

Generally I keep it off; it's a useless wast of bandwidth that harkens
back to the time before SNMP and when ethernet transceivers were these
lumpy things bolted onto big orange cables at the end of a 10 to 30
foot AUI cable.  Lot of stuff to go wrong.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.