Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 21:57:10 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Subject:   Upgrading to 3.2 and vinum...

(sorry about that last message, I doubt it came across right)

Hello,
This is my plan for upgrading, I would greatly appreciate any feed back at
all.

Currently I have a FreeBSD 2.2.8 machine acting as a server/gateway for my
small home network.  It runs ipfw, ppp -alias, samba, squid, dhcp, etc...
It also has 3 drives in it.

What I would like to do is upgrade to 3.2-STABLE.  From what I've read
going from 2.2.8 to 3.x isn't exactly a picnic so I was going to backup
what I need, wipe the whole system clean, and start from scratch.
Restoring what I need along the way.

Now, a thought came to me.  Take the 3 disks (6.4 GB, 5 GB, and 10.2 GB)
and concatenate them with vinum.  This would make for much less of a
headache since I would have one big /usr, and from what I understand would
increase drive performance.

Ok, enough of the background.  My question(s) are, 1 is this a good idea?
and 2 how would I implement this, wouldn't I have to install a /usr/
partition before I even had the chance to implement vinum?

Any input, the more the better would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-Chris

"f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng."

P.S. Please CC: me as I'm not subscribed to the list at this address.