Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:27:20 +0800
From:      "kai ouyang" <oykai@msn.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   how to use the Giant?

Hi everyone,
  I find many system call under the control of Giant mutex, I do not know
when we should call mtx_lock(&Giant) and mtx_unlock(&Giant). I only know it
is a global mutex.
  normally, the two functions will occure together. But, in the
/sys/dev/aac/aac.c aac_host_command(struct aac_softc *sc), before
kthread_exit, it only calls the mtx_lock(&Giant). If I also write one
kernel thread program, should I use the Giant?
  Thank you!

Best Regards
  Ouyang Kai