Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 20:01:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

Hi!
---

Joe Greco writes:
] > >What kind of drives?  IDE drives bite, particularly if they are being used
] > >at the same time as the serial port... etc, etc.
] >
] > IDE drives have no affect on the operation of the serial unless they
] > are so slow that the system spends too much of its time in the kernel.
] > Bus-hogging SCSI controllers bite.
]
] It has been my observation that IDE drives DO tend to affect the operation
] of serial I/O, at least during heavy I/O periods.  Small-memory systems tend
] to spend much more time doing "heavy I/O" (swapping), in my experience, this
] is just one reason I put 8MB in even my smallest machines these days.

By the way... can anybody tell me more about those new IDE/EIDE controllers
that do such things linke other pio modes? Are they usable under FreeBSD, do
they have any advantage over normal rotten old IDE controllers?

Regards, Mickey

--
          (__)
          (@@)      Andreas S. Wetzel        E-mail: mickey@deadline.snafu.de