Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 22:09:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      media@mail1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible bug in 3.1 STABLE

At 2:53 PM -0700 5/17/99, Doug White wrote:

>> Following the advice of the this list, I installed
>> 3.1-STABLE-1990503 in place of 3.1-RELEASE.  I downloaded all new files from
>> releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/spapshots/i386 and made new floppies.  I am
>> using a 133 Pentium w/64M RAM with no cd.  I then booted from the floppies
>> and went to install from my primary DOS partition.
>>
>> It refused to install the src and XFree86 files.
>>
>> I checked the list of distribution files it couldn't transfer or extract
>> against the contents of C:\FREEBSD\xf86333 and C:\FREEBSD\src  and they are
>> all there.
>
>Ah, this is what I ran into.  The ERRATA says you must place the files in
>a RELEASES\ directory for DOS installs to work properly.
>
>>From http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.1R/errata.html:
>
>o  DOS installation fails when you actually follow the instructions
>   to install stuff under C:\FREEBSD\BIN\... and so on.
>
>Fix: The instructions are correct but the code was wrong in 3.1-RELEASE,
>     sysinstall looking instead directly under C:\ (e.g. C:\BIN\...)
>     or under C:\RELEASES\ (C:\RELEASES\BIN\... and so on).  Fixed
>     in 3.1-STABLE.

It says "Fixed in 3.1-STABLE."  I am using 3.1-STABLE, and it found bin,
man, des, etc., without any problem.  The only thing the Errata says about
X and src is that you have to reboot first, and I've rebooted many times
already.

Still, I'm getting a broken pipe error every time which makes think it's a bug.