Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:19:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   New install won't boot off A7V133

I just got in an ATA133 30GB drive that I am going to dedicat to FreeBSD on
my main system (an Asus A7V133). I took off the existing 20GB (Win2000), put
the 30GB in its place (primary master). I boot from a 4.7-REL CD I made,
install goes fine... it detects the controllers, drive, I partition the
whole thing for FreeBSD, setting the auto defaults, etc etc.  Everything
goes swell.  Then I'm done, I reboot, take out the CD... and it just sits
there when it should be booting from the drive.

The A7V133 has two integraded IDE controllers. One is a Promise ATA100 one.
I've tried both the integrated Promise controller, and the non-promise one
(doing a full, clean install on each).  So it's not specific to the Promise
controller.

I have BIOS 1009 for this (the latest). Have it set to non-PnP OS (it
detects my PCI NIC just fine), have played around with boot orders, even
taken the CD-ROM drive off.

Kind of bumming, as this was going to be my big exciting install (after
playing around with installs on 3 other systems to polish my skills). Anyone
up tonight who can offer some suggestions?

=====
Scott I. Remick   --==--   ICQ: 450152
Save the internet - Use Mozilla: http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozilla/
"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.