Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:19:35 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reproducable ACPI hang on 5.0-RELEASE + Asus A7V mobo

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:03:08PM -0500, The Anarcat wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've been experimenting quite a bit with the new ACPI stuff from
> 5.0-release. I can reliably hang my box using acpiconf -s 3, both from
> X and the console. In X, upon wakeup, the screen is trashed with color
> strips. In the console, I can actually get some interaction back, but
> the whole thing hangs after a few seconds anyways.
>
> This is with an almost GENERIC kernel (attached), on a Asus A7V KT133
> motherboard.
>
> Any concrete way to debug this? Cause a panic?
>
> Should I report this somewhere else since 5.0 != 5.x-current? :)

ACPI power management on Asus motherboards with the VIA chipset seems to
be quite broken.  On my A7V333 I can use mode 1 (CPU off), 2 and 3
report AE_NOT_FOUND and 4 dumps the cpu registers, while power-off on
shutdown reports an ACPI timeout error.   However, these
motherboards _do_ seem to have the configuration part of ACPI working
very well, whereas lots of computers don't even boot with ACPI enabled.
I don't know, but I'd guess that the priority will be to get computers
booting and configuring properly with ACPI, before moving onto fixing
problems with the power management, and working around features which
make the AML (low-level ACPI code) work with Windows.

Bruce Cran