Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        CyberPsychotic <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
Cc:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr, gary.hall@mcg-graphics.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal Modem Setup - beginners question

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, CyberPsychotic wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Just one question : is your modem of the "Winmodem"  species ?
> > If yes, you've got no chance to get ut running under anything except
> > Win$-9[5-8]
>
> not true:-)). see http://www.kalug.lug.net/linux-admin-FAQ/
>  We have mentioned that it's possible now to run it under Linux,

I certainly don't see that on there.

Question 2.4. How do I use a `WinModem'/`WinPrinter' under Linux?

All Win* things are brain-dead. However there's some chance to get
WinModem or WinPrinter under Linux.Ghostscript now has support
for some WinPrinters. But since the actual idea is that Win-devices are
just very simplified things, where lots of things are to be done by
specific Windows drivers you'd better abstain getting these things, since
they will undoubtfuly decrease your box performance, will use alot
of your machine CPU and generally will hog machine.:^)

RemarkSadly, vendors of WinPrinters and WinModems have been pressured by
M$ to withold programming information, so lots of
Win-devices still aren't supported in Linux world.

Doug White