Date:      Fri, 9 May 2003 10:32:09 -0700
From:      buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org (Brian Buhrow)
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Access times on executables (kern/25777)

	I hope you forgive my naive question, but I fail to understand how the
NFS case can fail under any circumstance.  If a user tries to execute an
nfs-mounted binary which is not readable by him, doesn't the system "read"
the binary as the user root in order to execute the program, assuming the
proper execute bit is set?  And, once that is done, wouldn't the system
continue to read (page) that file as root?  If that doesn't work, then I
would assume that the system would fail to execute the program at all and
fail with a permission denied error.
In other words, when a user executes a remote file which has execute
permission set, but not read permission set, whose credentials does the
system use to read the file?  And, wouldn't those credentials work for the
duration of the program's execution, assuming you're not running Kerberized
NFS or AFS?
-Brian