Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:49:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      NetSonic Support Staff <adam@netsonic.com>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: continued FTP problems

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Guy Helmer wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:42:36 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
> To: NetSonic Support Staff <adam@netsonic.com>
> Subject: Re: continued FTP problems
>
> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, NetSonic Support Staff wrote:
>
> > I still get the following when trying to ftp to the box.. (I can ftp out
> > fine, i just cant ftp into)
> >
> > $ ftp 207.170.35.68
> > Connected to 207.170.35.68.
> > 220 intranet.lrc.com FTP server (Version 6.00) ready.
> > Name (207.170.35.68:adam): adam
> > 530 User adam access denied.
> > ftp: Login failed.
> > Remote system type is UNIX.
> > Using binary mode to transfer files.
> > ftp>
>
> Is "adam" in /etc/ftpusers?

no.. list is

# list of users disallowed any ftp access.
# read by ftpd(8).
root
toor
daemon
operator
bin
games
news
man
uucp
xten
nobody

 Is there anything in /etc/login.access that
> would deny access to any users?

no that whole file is commented out.

What is ftpd's line in /etc/inetd.conf?

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l

This has been puzzling me for months now.. very odd.

Appreciate the help