Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:04:27 -0500
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@guru.org>
To:        Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA problems (still)

Axel Simon wrote:

>Hi Keith,
>
>the only thing that comes to my mind is overheating. Bad cables would
>probably result in more warnings before the controller does the reset.
>Does the hard drive make loud clicking sounds before the system hangs? If
>you don't know, maybe you put a fan in for 2 weeks...
>
>Heat killed 4 harddrives in my computer. The WD one is the one that
>works.

I would buy that except it behaves differently with a different
controller card.  If it was heat related I would think it would have
roughly the same time before failing.

I would also think that if there was a heat problem in my case, then one
of the SCSI hard drives I had in there before would have had problems as
well (previously I had 4 7200 RPM SCSI drives in the system).

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request