Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:05:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  30fps with vic?

>  > From: "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
>  >
>  > Say has anyone managed to get 30fps with CIF geometry (352x288) ?
>  >
>  > Tnks,
>  >     Amancio
>  >
> From: "Jim Lowe" <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
>  Sure, if I point my camera at a wall I get 30fps, 40kbps, in h.261 mode
>  with vic.  If I just do raw frame captures I can get 640x480x4x30fps.
>
>  	-Jim

Yep, the compression of moving images causes the lower frame rate and increased
bandwidth. Because of this, IMHO, full quality video will require the
compression to be done on the capture board. for internet use, we probably
would want only MPEG 1 quality, but leased/wider bandwidth networks will use
MPEG 2. unfortunately, MPEG 2 capture boards are very expensive ($4-5K).

--mark.