Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:23:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATM research status request

The network group here is creating an ATM test bed and one possible path
is bypassing conventional workstations and going to high-end Intel machines
running a free Unix (they don't care, but I do).

I know of a posting from University of Penn that said they were working on
a FORE ATM card for [Net Free]BSD under a NDA.

I thought there was a posting from a Navy Research Lab that was doing some
porting code (I don't have the mail and am relying on my failing brain cells).

There was general interest in the capabilites of the Adaptec card.

DEC has put LAN Emulation (LANE, not IETF's IP over ATM) source into the
public domain, but this is the tip of the software iceberg.

Someone said that there is some ATM support for Linux (vague statement because
that is all I know).

I will eventually have to add a FreeBSD machine into this ATM network. I
realize adding a driver for an ATM adapter will be the easy part; the tricky
part will be the kernel network glue.

I guess this is a call for the state of the ATM work, a feeler of the desire
to organize those working in this area.

--mark.