Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:14:14 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Calin GRECU <cgrecu@exp437.sorostm.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drivers

Calin GRECU wrote:

>                 Dear Sirs,
>
>         My name is Colin Grecu, I'm from Timisoara (Romania). I have a FreeBSD set from Walnut
> Creek (2.1.5 august 1996). Due to some hardware incompatibility problems with my CD ROM unit, I'm

Nope no hardware problems here. This is a configuration problem as far
as I can tell.

> unable to use it from FreeBSD. Please tell me what to do, where to find some CD ROM driver.
> My CD ROM is an 8x IDE from BTC.

If your drive is IDE then it is compatible. Fear not. You can get it
working.

Ensure that you know where your drive is connected inside the machine
and that the jumpers are set correclty.

Your kernel must contain...

options ATAPI
device wcd0

The device for the IDE controller that your drive is connected to. For
example.

controller wdc0
controller wdc1

Your kernel may optionally contain...

options CD9660
options ATAPI_STATIC

CD9660 can be loaded dynamically when you mount the drive from a
loadable kernel module. It is optional.

ATAPI_STATIC means (if i understand LINT correctly) that the cdrom can
not be mounted with a loadable kernel module. I believe it is also
optional. It may not be supported in version 2.1.5. I know that I use it
in 2.2 gamma.

Read the file /sys/i386/conf/LINT for correct syntax. I may be wrong on
syntax.

When you reboot you should see messages describing your CDROM. If you do
not then it is not configured correctly in the kernel. Try again.

Ensure that a CD is in the drive prior to mounting the drive. Then enter
the command...

mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt

That should do it. Please write back if you have more questions.
--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net