Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 12:51:04 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        taob@risc.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        langfod@dihelix.com, questions@FreeBSD.org, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with over 133 virutal domains with apache on 2.1.7

Brian Tao
>On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, David Langford wrote:
>>
>> When I add my 134'th virtual domain to apache it says it can no
>> longer figure out its hostname and wants me to set ServerName
>
>    You are probably running out of file descriptors (defaults to
>FD_SETSIZE=256 per process) because you have separate access and error
>logs for each virtual domain.  You'll probably have to rebuild your
>kernel with FD_SETSIZE=1024 (or whatever) and recompile Apache with
>that value as well.
>
>    Also, are you running named on that box?  I think named by default
>Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)

What I did to get it working was add -DFD_SETSIZE=1024 to make.conf
Rebuilt kernel/libc and apache.  Everything works okay but the
system seem to be unstable- reboots about once a day (of course
only when I am not around).

Strangly enough named on this machine has NOT been a problem *shrug*.
Also gated pukes after a bit with assert failed in rt_radix.c
assert(RT_TABLE_PTR(socktype(rth->rth_dest)

netstat -m shows 503/704 mbub clusters about 3hours after last reboot
on a Sunday.

My main apache proccess show 336 open files and 44781 total at the moment.
(fstat of root http proccess and fstat of web user)

I think I am going to redo this with FD_SETSIZE=512 and see if that helps the
system.

I wish I knew why the machine was crashing right now.  I can only tell
if I am on the console when it does and I dont want to set gdb as
I prefer it to come back alive quickly.

Any thoughts if 2.2 has any tweaks to handle this better. I have
forgotten the changes fyling by in the past few months :)

Thanks to everybody who has sent help on this. :)

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com