Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:55:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Backwards' DES support for crypt(), while still using better algo's

> I'm working on hacking SHA-1 encryption into passwords as '$2$' (suggested
> by Poul).  One thought I had was on systems that have existing passwords
> with DES, where they may want to use better encryption but they dont
> because right now it is either all or nothing (? as far as I can tell).

Or they use DES since they need it for interoperability with other OS's.

> What would be nice is to have '$0$' be DES encryption, then we could still
> support better encryption while also staying functional with older
> passwords

If I understand you correctly, this would mean that FreeBSD's
DES encrypted password would be different than any other OS's DES
encrypted password field.  This is a bad thing IMHO, since a very common
question people ask is if FreeBSD's password field is sharable with
NetBSD/BSDi, OpenBSD, SunOS, etc..

If you install the secure dist (DES) converting to/from FreeBSD's format
is trivial, and by changing it you are asking for trouble.

Nate