Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:01:14 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FLAME - security advisories on the 23rd ? uncool idea is uncool

Careful reading, as opposed to blindly applying updates, is often
rewarded. If you aren't running telnetd, it follows that you are not
vulnerable to the most serious exploit addressed by the patch (remote
root).

I have had no trouble since applying the patch to 7.4 and 8.2 systems. YMMV=
.

Given the nature of the exploit, and the fact that it has been seen in
the wild, there was not choice but to make the announcement and make
the patch available.

- M