Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:10:20 -0700
From:      Marco S Hyman <marc@snafu.org>
To:        Dave Dittrich <dittrich@cac.washington.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, mike@smith.net.au, billf@chc-chimes.com, ports@openbsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared libraries in packages

Dave Dittrich writes:
 > Regardless, I think this means that you should not put *any* non-static
 > binaries on the OpenBSD site (that are created on FreeBSD systems) or at
 > least provide source for all ported products (as I can't recompile
 > libpcap until I find the source somewhere else besides the OpenBSD
 > site -  I'll start sending email to the people who created the ports
 > to build my own.)

In OpenBSD terms (which I believe are the same as FreeBSD, but am not
sure) a `port' consists of the makefile, patches, and optional scripts
to compile from source.  Had you retrieved the port from one of the
OpenBSD mirrors and attempted to build on an OpenBSD box you would not
have had shared lib versioning problems.  I take it that is not what
you did.

Again in OpenBSD terms a `package' is a tarball containing installation
instructions and binary images for a particular architecture running
a particular version of the operating system.  I make most (all?) of the
OpenBSD packages and don't recall making a package for ntop.  If you
got a package from a non OpenBSD site for some other version of UNIX
the only way you should expect it to work is using OpenBSD's emulation
of that UNIX.  FreeBSD emulation, for example, requires the FreeBSD
shared libs.  See compat_freebsd(8).

Shared library version change all the time.  Example: the packages I build
based upon a current OpenBSD system will NOT work on a stock 2.3 system
because libc has had a major version number revision since then.  That's
one reason to get the `port' and build from sources.

// marc