Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 02:47:51 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Charlie Root <root@sense-gold-135.oz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, al@cool.bioeng.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/mailto.html

* Charlie Root <root@sense-gold-135.oz.net> [000201 01:58] wrote:
> I have been using 3.2 since last summer. I like many things about it.
> On the dislike side is the dependence on needing an already digested
> makefile. Specifically a source with an autoconf configure often does
> not work to make a usable makefile. My recent experience with linux
> and solaris is different. They work. This gives rise to a gotcha
> when one wants to update. Buy a new CD is the answer.

There are alternatives, feel free to do both:

1) Complain to the author of such non-portable software.
2) Check out the ports collection.

The whole idea of auto-conf and friends is to help create portable
software, however the problem is that people consider "Compiles
under solaris, works on Linux" as the definition of 'portability'

Clearly some of them need to try a bit harder.

Fortunatly there's a large team of very experianced software
engineers (the Ports Team) working hard to slap these unportable
programs into something that compiles and works under FreeBSD,
occasionally these engineers actually improve upon the program so
that the FreeBSD 'version' is actually better than the author's.

See: http://www.freebsd.org/ports

enjoy,
-Alfred