Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 21:48:04 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: NetBUI and/or IPX routing?

I think you are a bit sidetracked. The original question was if it is
possible to have a Netware server on one side of a router and only IPX
clients on the other side. (No Netware server on that side)

   ------------           -----------         ----------
   | Netware  |  Net A    | FreeBSD |  Net B  |  IPX   |
   |          |-----------|         |---------|        |
   | Server   |           | Router  |         | Client |
   ------------           -----------         ----------

This is possible with Netware 3.11 and DOS and Windose clients. We are
using it here. I don't have a Netware 4.xx server so I don't know if that
will work.

What happens is that the FBSD router will gather the IPX RIP and SAP
information that is broadcast by the server (and others if there are more
than one). When you start a IPX client it will do a SAP GetNearestServer
request (broadcast) which the router will answer. This packet contains the
name and address of the Netware Server. The client will then do a RIP
request to find a router that will route packets to the server address that
it just received. The router will answer it because it will see that it
is the cheapest (only) route to the server. Only then the client will send
a NCP connection request to allocate a connection slot. This is send to
the server. So the router does not have to answer any NCP requests.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@csir.co.za