Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:08:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Justin Ashworth <ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu>
To:        Quanah Mount <fxqjm@aurora.alaska.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nameserver lookups

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Quanah Mount wrote:

> I recently re-compiled my kernel, and when I did so, it reset my
> sysconfig file, my hosts file, and some other of my configuration files..
> This is extremely annoying.. might this be fixed in the next release?
> I now cannot connect to places by their net names, only their ip #'s
> for example
> telnet aurora.alaska.edu
> does not work but
> telnet 137.229.18.1
> (aurora's ip #) does work
> How do I fix this?

  If I understand your question, you need to add some local nameserver
hosts in your /etc/resolv.conf file. Try making your nameserver look like
this:
-------
domain alaska.edu
nameserver 137.229.10.39
nameserver 192.220.250.1
nameserver 137.229.12.41
nameserver 192.220.251.1
-------
Your /etc/hosts should at least have the following in it:
------
127.0.0.1	localhost
137.229.18.1	aurora.alaska.edu	aurora
------
Your /etc/sysconfig should have "hostname=aurora.alaska.edu"
in it.

That should get you started if not solve the problem completely.

- Justin J. Ashworth
-- CS Student - Montana State University
--- Chair, Association for Computing Machinery - MSU
-- ashworth@cs.montana.edu
- http://www.cs.montana.edu/~ashworth