Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 2009 01:36:26 +0300
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs2 / softupdates / ZFS / disk write cache

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM
To: Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org> wrote:

> =8Aimun Mikecin wrote:
>>
>> 21. lip. 2009., u 13:41, Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org> napisao:
>>>
>>> Folks who need to maximize safety and can't afford the performance =A0h=
it of no write cache need to do what they always have had to do in =A0the p=
ast - buy a controller card with battery-backed cached.

>> Or:
>> B) use SCSI instead of ATA disks
>> C) use UFS+gjournal instead of UFS+SU
>> D) use ZFS instead of UFS+SU
>

> All of these solutions still involve disabling of write cache, with a per=
formance hit of varying degrees. (I have tried all of those except gjournal=
!)

Why would using UFS+gjournal, ZFS or SCSI still involve disabling
write cache? Disabling write cache is only suggested for systems using
UFS + SU on ATA/PATA disks.

This in turn actually raises a new point: Why is UFS + SU still the
default option provided by the sysinstall installation process? A
simple truth is that most FreeBSD users on a modern system are going
to be using SATA disks. Another simple truth is that most new users
are going to go with what the default installation process suggests
and as shown by the benchmark results a few posts back, noone is going
to be disabling the write cache unless they are completely out of
their mind (who on earth is going to accept 2-4 MB/s write speeds from
a modern disk in 2009?).

- Dan Naumov